Got some feedback on how the player movement worked and so I decided to switch it to the original idea I had–when the player gets too close to the bounds of the screen, then the screen recenters itself on the player, as opposed to re-centering every single time the player moves. Likewise the grass is now drawn so that it looks “attached” to the tile, instead of before where the grass appeared to just float under the screen like an odd parallax effect (see image; night sky is what the grass looked like if anyone hasnt tried out this thing).
Also, I’ve worked in the map generator into the game itself. It looks a bit weird, to be sure:
But I feel like currently that’s due to tileset issues and not necessarily the code. Don’t mind the odd looking minimap, still have a few kinks to work out.
Also, now I’ve got a way to output screenshots (properly labelled to boot) into a ‘screenshots’ directory when you press the printscreen key. Saves time when I’m on Windows, thats for sure.